INSIDE THE PRISON
- Visiting prisoners
The volunteer visits a prisoner that has requested extra visits.
These requests are often made by foreigners that have little or no family members or friends in the Netherlands. We are looking for people that speak foreign languages such as English, Spanish, Bulgarian, Romanian, Polish and Russian.
- Volunteering in the prison church
Volunteers can help by
- Supporting prison church services, for instance by preparing the church room, making coffee, welcoming the inmates and having short conversations after the church service.
- Providing music during church service. A maximum of 8 musicians can sing songs or make music during both Protestant and Catholic church services.
- Participating in small groups or other activities, such as special events for religious holidays.
All volunteers that want to be involved in the prison church are expected to be of the Christian Faith and able to see outside the walls of their own Christian denomination.
- Supporting parent-child contact
Several times a year we organize meetings where children can visit their parent in prison. We need several volunteers for this:
- Supporting father&child. The volunteer:
- Contributes to a feeling of safety by being present, positive and supporting fathers and children wherever they need
- Helps in preparing and decorating the room
- Hands out drinks and food items
- Volunteering at the meetings for prisoners’ spouses. The volunteer:
- Contributes to a feeling of safety by being present and positive
- Helps in preparing the high tea items
- Makes conversation with the women that are present
- The volunteer:
- Brings children to prison to visit their father when their mother is unable to attend.
- Visits the family at home before the prison visit
- Makes sure the child feels safe and has a good time
If you are interested in volunteering with (ex-)prisoners and their families, please contact us through email@example.com or 06 – 4204 1309